At that, time their factory was in James Street Bridgeton. In the mid 1920s it was decided that John Street in Bridgeton was to be renamed, as Glasgow already had a street of that name, and the thoroughfare became Tullis Street, acknowledging the importance of the Tullis family to Bridgeton. They lived at Muiryfauld Drive. Typical for the period, only a small percentage are named on monuments and not every grave has a … Records:. His commitment to Erskine, and other ex-service, organisations, had been forged during distinguished war, service with the First Battalion HLI. At 2.12 a.m. on the 26th July he was awoken by a blast from the steam whistle and immediately ran on deck and from there to the starboard side of the bridge, where he found the first mate, who remarked to him as he crossed over to the port side, “That beggar is going to be into us.” On looking over the port side he observed the hull, masthead, and green lights of a steamer the S.S. PEARL coming straight for them, and in about half a minute the “Archibald Finnie” was struck about 15 ft. before the bridge, at about an angle of 45°, cutting nearly into the main hatch. He went on to occupy a, seat at the Council Board, Mr. Willox sat for the Whitevale or, 4th Ward, which included Parkhead. He went on to occupy a seat at the Council Board, Mr. Willox sat for the Whitevale or 4th Ward, which included Parkhead. There was a memorial garden built, at the corner of London rd and Tobago st that is believed to, have been built to comemerate the death of these 29 girls. He died on 6th May 1916 at 133 Onslow Drive, Dennistoun, from cerebral degeneration syncope aged 62, years. Late superintendent of fire engines in the Glasgow Fire Brigade. David Willox was born on the 3rd June, 1845, in what was then the rural village of Parkhead, but now included within the boundaries of Glasgow. It appears the business started around 1879-1880 at 45 Dale Street and James lived at 30 Harvie Street then. he died a gallant gentleman heading his, platoon into battle in the most cool and capable manner. THE VICTORIAN GLASGOW NECROPOLIS This burial ground was always intended to be interdenominational and the first burial in 1832 was that of a Jew, Joseph Levi, a jeweller. This cemetery contains 24 Canadian soldiers from the Great War. Due to their beliefs the Jewish people buried in the Necropolis had to be buried in a separate plot. A prominent athlete in the West of Scotland, he had an excellent record in rugby and also played cricket for Glasgow Accies and West of Scotland. My ancestors have three plots in Janefield. Bruce, Crawford died of a fracture of the base of the skull, and his, place of death is given as Ibrox Park itself, rather than a, In the early days of weaving in Bridgeton and Calton, much of, the work was carried out in cottages and dwellings with looms, set up within the households. Pictures of Monuments . He was a Wine & Spirit merchant and. In 1833 the first Christian burial was of Elizabeth Miles, stepmother of the Superintendent, George Mylne. Frederick Grosvenors widow Mary Anne Astle died 13 August 1917. The Mitchell Librarys’ Glasgow Room also has records but these are on microfiche and are difficult to read… Or search Moir. Rome2rio is a door-to-door travel information and booking engine, helping you get to and from any location in the world. Glasgow Necropolis is located on the eastern edge of Glasgow City Centre and is open from 7.00am till 4:30pm daily. He there very soon acquired a large connection becoming well known as a successful obstetrician. The Auchterarder Weaver Boy. He died on the 17th December 1927 aged 82 years old. Here, an integrated education of sweeping and itty bitty detail. The informant of his death was John Fraser, his son of 12 Greenlodge Terrace. It was definitely the Great Eastern Road. He died, 9th January, 1896, aged 57 years. There was a great congregation, representative of the whole. Eastern Necropolis in Glasgow (Scotland) reviews, contact details, photos, open hours and map directions. After graduating at, Glasgow University in 1892, he was resident physician in the, Royal Infirmary and also worked in Belvidere Fever Hospital. Andrew was married to Georgina Rintoul. His parents were George H. and Mary Jane Laird, of 7 Park Drive, Glasgow. Discover our range of books and gifts online and support the CWGF. There are 5 ways to get from Parkhead, Eastern Necropolis to Glasgow Central Station by bus, taxi or foot. Post-war, traditional, domestic laundry began to falter and the introduction of. A cemetery was opened by Glasgow Hebrew Congregation at the Eastern Necropolis (Janefield) in Parkhead (1264 Gallowgate) in 1855. Buried within the three sections of the cemetery are the likes of Sir Thomas Lipton, Alexander Greek Thomson, Charles Wilson and the legendary White Lady (walk round her three times, or she might turn you to stone). Watch Queue Queue Eastern Necropolis, 1264 Gallowgate, Glasgow is a Category B listed building in Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland. It was in 1897, the year of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee, when Tom Stewart, an Auchterarder weaver, decided to. With its 3 Pot stills and eight 3,000-12,000 gallon washbacks it had an annual production of 130,000 gallons. The Reverend Andrew Bryson, minister of St Thomas’s, also took part in the service. The Watson family owned a significant amount of property in and around the Parkhead area. This tractor which Wallace developed, was an attempt to compete with the Fordson tractor in the UK market. Senex is talking about the changes that have, queer things to be seen in the Saltmarket yet, however, and we, cannot help giving the following verbatim et literatim transcript, of a chimney sweep’s sign which we copied the other day, Thomson Black chimney sweep, he does live here, he’ll sweep, your vent and not be dear, if your vents take on fire he’ll put it, out at your desire. Pottery manufacture in the East End was more commonplace than we may think today. Alexander McCall was the Chief constable for Glasgow for 18 years. David Willox was part of the British bowling team that played against the Ontario Bowling Association in 1905. Eastern Necropolis, 1264 Gallowgate, c.1860. Fifty thousand individuals have been buried here. The bus stop is directly outside the cemetery entrance. Hugh McFarlane was awarded the OBE for his contribution in producing weapons during the Great War. My family lived on this section of road and I can confirm the change in 1925 by birth certificates of some family members. It was located north west of Glasgow, near the motorway to Stirling and between Blackhill House and, Riddrie. William Bowie, MBE, MC, had been appointed to the executive committee of Erskine Hospital in 1952 and remained a lifelong supporter. In the included map of 1892 someone has superimposed the name “Gallogate” but this part of the road was actually called the “Great Eastern Road” until 1925 when it was renamed the Gallogate. The carnival or ‘shows’ were located on the north side of Gallowgate, on both the east and west sides of Vinegarhill Street. During the 1840s cowfeeder and […] The Cross Of Sacrifice is the first monument you will see as you walk through the gates of Janefield Cemetery. Turn left onto A8 Gallogate and at circle take second exit still on Gallogate ,the cemetery runs parallel to … He began a practice in the east end of the city in, a completely humble way. Turn left onto A8 Gallogate and at circle take second exit still on Gallogate ,the cemetery runs parallel to this street on the right hand side. On 20 September 1854 at the, Battle of the Alma, Crimea, when the shot and fire from the, batteries just in front of the battalion threw it into momentary, disorder, it was forced out of its formation, becoming, something of a huge triangle, with one corner pointing towards, the enemy. On 20 September 1854 at the Battle of the Alma, Crimea, when the shot and fire from the batteries just in front of the battalion threw it into momentary disorder, it was forced out of its formation, becoming something of a huge triangle, with one corner pointing towards the enemy. As mass production arrived with the Industrial Revolution, Glasgow became a major centre for powered spinning factories. focus for John Wallace. Glasglow Necropolis is a Victorian cemetery in Glasgow, Scotland and is also know as ‘The City of the Dead’. Not up there with "The Necropolis" in Cathedral Square but still worth a visit if you're into Glasgow's history and some of the fascinating people who have made it their home. The total number of workers employed by Singers reached a record figure of over 14,000 in 1914. Accidents and war dead. 1214. The 1896 map of Camlachie shows a, switchback railway on the ground to the east side of Vinegarhill, Street, but by 1912 two switchback railways existed within the. Winning Row in Parkhead is named after the Winning family. It appears the business started around 1879-1880 at 45 Dale, Street and James lived at 30 Harvie Street then. In the year 1841 he became a Fellow of the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, under the old regulations, and in the same year accepted the position of lecturer on midwifery at Anderson’s College, then called the Andersonian University. The business continued right up to his death in 1896 at 45 Dale Street with James living at 29 Main Street, Bridgeton. The main gates sit behind St Mungo’s Museum and are adjacent to Glasgow Cathedral. Founded 1815, operated by William Kirkland from 1825 and, John Morrison from 1849, then R Simpson & Co. until 1860, when it was acquired by Moses Risk & Sons Ltd. and stayed in. Check here to see our open positions and volunteer roles. The Eastern Necropolis, like many cemeteries in Glasgow, is the final resting place for a number of armed forces personnel lost in the two World Wars. As mass production arrived with, the Industrial Revolution, Glasgow became a major centre for, powered spinning factories. The tragedy occurred after 51 minutes of the match, which was allowed to finish, to avoid supporters exiting en masse crowding the area obstructing rescue work. Find out how you can apply to become a CWGC Volunteer. He had started a practice in his native part of Glasgow which was progressing well when he was suddenly struck down by pneumonia. He later worked as a foreman at Beardmore’s Parkhead Forge, before going on to establish his own chemical works. Glasgow’s main Necropolis, which I wrote about last time, is not the only one in the city which also boasts Southern, Eastern and Western Necropoli. Pottery manufacture, in the East End was more commonplace than we may think, today. The inscriptions on the stone are written in Gaelic and English but sadly the the side with the English has suffered weathering damage and part of the inscription has delaminated making part of it illegible. Eastern Necropoils Gate Lodge: Sited at the Gallowgate entrance to the eastern necropolis this small Gate Lodge lies sealed and derelict, within a stripped out interior and roof pierced by some large trees. Can't visit one of our sites? Overview The Necropolis, Glasgow's Victorian City of the Dead, is a vast and grand cemetery modeled on Père-Lachaise in Paris. Many of the headstones are damaged and broken, and yet wandering through its tree lined paths, it feels less like a place of death, and more like a secret garden, lacking the tourist trappings that drive so many to climb the northern Necropolis’ hilly pathways. His father was a handloom weaver. William Bowie. Glasgow Eastern Necropolis, Glasgow, Glasgow City, Scotland, United Kingdom. The couple built a dwelling-house on the lands, and enjoyed a nursery garden with pear trees. Easter Necropolis Brochure Courtesy Of Glasgow Museums Thanks to Glasgow Museums for allowing parkhead History to Publish this brochure on the site . Post-war, traditional domestic laundry began to falter and the introduction of garment rental to industry, and the pioneering of launderettes, were critical to the firm’s continuing success. Download the free BG app and you`ll be able to contribute, and have access to our worldwide headstone database. He had been laid aside from active duties, of his large practice for the previous nine months, the phase, which his illness assumed being that of an obscure cerebral. In July 1878 the visitors book shows that 13,733 people visited the Glasgow Necropolis – 12,400 citizens and 1,333 other visitors. Glasgow was one of the ports of embarkation for the British Expeditionary Force in 1914 and several military hospitals opened in the city during the First World War, including the 3rd and 4th Scottish General (1,200 beds each), and the Merryflats War Hospital (500 beds). Glasgow graveyard slide-show set to music. The Nelson family owned the Olympic Stadium in Porter Street, Camlachie. Image Name Regiment Date of death; Lance Corporal David Allison 242033: Seaforth Highlanders: 01/04/1919 (aged 33) Private Alex Baird 23099: Canadian Infantry The, works were further extended between 1882 and 1905. Whilst doing research into Janefield Cemetery, we came across many of the show people’s final resting place. A captain was carrying the Queen’s Colours which had the pole smashed and 20 bullet holes through the silk. His Daughter, Anne Boden, died 23 April, William Bowie. revolutions of 1848 – as well as personal and local matters. There are more than 170,000 Commonwealth war graves in the United Kingdom, many being those of servicemen and women killed on active service, or who later succumbed to wounds. Entering the family laundry, business, he was soon supporting his elder brother, John, as, they jointly took the business forward. I’m trying to find my Grandmother’s burial plot, her grave is unmarked, does anyone know where to find records of where her lair might be? A future for Glasgow’s Necropolis. Get the latest CWGC news and see some of our recent work, Privacy policies for CWGC website services. In 1869 the Eagle Pottery was built in Bridgeton for Frederick Grosvenor, an earthenware manufacturer. William Livingston (Uilleam Mhic Dhunleibhi), The inscriptions on the stone are written in Gaelic and English, but sadly the the side with the English has suffered, weathering damage and part of the inscription has, William Livingston wrote poetry in Gaelic under the name of, Uilleam Mhic Dhunleibhi (various spellings) and was known as, the Islay Gaelic Bard. The original Gallogate ran from Glasgow Cross to Crown point Street (Fieden St.) Where it became Great Eastern Road to Parkhead Cross. Southern Necropolis is the final resting place of approximately 250,000 contributors towards the rich historical legacy of Glasgow. ‘How Scotland Lost Her Parliament and what came of it’ (1891), ‘History of Rutherglen and East-Kilbride’ (1793), ‘Popular Tales of the West Highlands’ (1890-1893), ‘Sketches of Early Scotch History’ (1861), ‘Historical Works of Sir James Balfour’ (1824), ‘Memorial Catalogue of the Old Glasgow Exhibition 1894’ (1896), ‘How Scotland Lost Her Parliament’ (1891), ‘Scottish Railway Incidents: 1900-1903,’ (2020), 17th of December – Random Scottish History, 6th of November – Random Scottish History, 1st of November – All Saints’ Day – Random Scottish History, 20th of September – Random Scottish History. The entryway consists of three arches and curved screen walls He is buried in Blighty Valley Cemetery, Authuile Wood on the Somme. (Provanmill Distillery) Mile End and probably also Milltown. This was a well known Trotting and Greyhound, track (flapping track). The Glasgow Necropolis is a 15-hectare (37-acre) Victorian cemetery located on the second-highest hill in Glasgow, the largest city of Scotland. The son of a medic, Dr. Paterson entered the medical profession in the year 1834. The firm of W & J Bowie established the Clyde Dye Works at Strathclyde Street, Dalmarnock in 1870. My family have a lair in The Eastern Necropolis and I question the naming of the road running along the Northern side of it. on deck and from there to the starboard side of the bridge, where he found the first mate, who remarked to him as he, crossed over to the port side, “That beggar is going to be into. There was a great congregation, representative of the whole football world present in St Thomas’s Parish Church, Campbellfield Street, with which the tragic victim had been closely associated, and where he began his football career. The Glasgow Hebrew Congregation established its first burial ground in the Necropolis, in use 1832-1855 and then opened Jewish Cemeteries at Janefield (Eastern Necropolis), in use 1855-1935 and at Craigton (1881-1908). He was captain of Glasgow Academy in 1908. Dublin-born Maria Barnett, wife of Levy Metzenburg (Metginburg), who died of ‘inflammation of the brain’ in September 1855 was the first to be buried there , and there were over 540 Jewish burials in Janefield up to 1935. He was a popular with his colleagues. Over the years the site was much developed, to be eventually replaced by the engineering works of Mavor & Coulson. All from the Industrial Revolution! At the outbreak of war he, enlisted as a Private in the Commercial Bn (17th. A prominent athlete in the, West of Scotland, he had an excellent record in rugby and. It is not known what happened to the business after 1902-1903. This video is unavailable. In 1846 Jeanfield was purchased by the Eastern Cemetery Joint-stock Company with the aim of laying out a necropolis to serve the east end of the city. George Laird and Sons Ltd, 10 Ann Street, Bridgeton were, upholsterer, joiner and cabinet makers and most of the family, lived in the Bridgeton area. They lived at Muiryfauld Drive. On the 5 April 1902, during the 1902 British Home Championship match between Scotland and England, the back of the newly built West Tribune Stand Ibrox Park collapsed due to heavy rainfall the previous night. These graves are tended by The Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Read our Cookie Policy, Terms & Conditions and Data Protection & Privacy Policy. A cemetery was opened by Glasgow Hebrew Congregation at the Eastern Necropolis (Janefield) in Parkhead (1264 Gallowgate) in 1855. Thomson Black, Soot Merchant and Chimney Sweep died 6th October, 1872, aged 58 years and lived at 59 Saltmarket Street. Late superintendent of fire engines in the Glasgow Fire Brigade. It was during the Crimean War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC. Also known as the cemetery at the back of Celtic Park on Gallowgate The, Glasgow Herald on the 2nd November reported that Maggie, was missing at that time. The cemetery is approximately 21 acres in size. This monument is one of Rennie Mackintosh’s earliest works, a Celtic cross was erected by the police commissioners and friends. When the war broke out, a great part of the factory was devoted to the production of, munitions, including shells, aeroplane parts and fuses. Dr. James Paterson died at the Bridge of Allan, the 21st June 1881, aged 72 years. Death so captures life. The Glasgow Necropolis is one of Europe's most important cemeteries, and a wonderful memorial to the Victorian era itself as well as the final resting place of 50,000 people. around the Parkhead area. David Willox was part of the British, bowling team that played against the Ontario Bowling, Association in 1905. Hugh, McFarlane was the Works Manager and later worked to. The people of, Vinegarhill were a major part of Camlachie’s history. affection. His poems are contained in a book, entitled ‘Duain Agus Orain’ and the book contains a brief, He was born on the remote Gartmain Farm near Bowmore on, the Island of Islay in September 1808 to James Livingston, a, When he died very suddenly in July 1870, and was laid to. His father was a handloom weaver. Search Canmore This was a well known Trotting and Greyhound track (flapping track). Some examples of the, Annfield pottery can be viewed in the the Hunterian Museum, and Art Gallery, University of Glasgow. Project Background. the family until it wound up in 1922 and never distilled again. John Thomson owned the Annfield Pottery on Gallowgate, and it operated from around 1816 until 1887. The entryway consists of three arches and curved screen walls and is of painted stonework. Read our FAQs or send a question to our enquiries team. Watch Queue Queue Maggie Shields was a power loom weaver at Templetons, Greenhead Factory Calton, who went to her work on the 1st, November 1889 and became one of the 29 young girls to, lose their lives when the ornate wall that was being built, collapsed during a storm and demolished the weaving shed, where Maggie and her co-workers were working. He became, manager of this, and was for many years before his retirement, John Wallace & Sons’ agricultural tractor produced between, 1919 and 1924, was Scotland’s only indigenous tractor. ( Log Out /  LOVED IT. In the mid 1920s it was decided that John Street in, Bridgeton was to be renamed, as Glasgow already had a street. The manufacture of driving, belts was a very important component in the workings of the, looms and machines in the surrounding weaving and carpets, factories. There is a roundabout not far from the enterance, to Janefield, this was seen as a prime spot in the, cemetery and is the resting place of many Showpeople, James Fyfe was the son of James Fyfe, a Handloom Weaver, and Marion McNair. Thomson Street of Duke Street was named after John Thomson. See why it was listed, view it on a map, see visitor comments and photos and share your own comments and photos of this building. The Glasgow Necropolis is multi-faith, the 50,000 residents are made up of Catholics, Protestants, Quakers, Jews, Lutherans and everybody else. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. (Provanmill Distillery) Mile End and probably also Milltown. Want to work for the CWGC? During and after the First World War, a so-called boom period, existed and expansion into engines and tractors became the. Welcome to Gorbals very own..” City Of The Dead”. However there is a gate at Wishart Street and an entrance off John Knox Street opposite Cathedral House Hotel. This website is dedicated to promoting the historical and educational assets of the Southern Necropolis (opened 1840). 54 were here. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. His tactical awareness and personal courage were marked by his award of the Military Cross in February 1945. I wonder if there is some willing person who would be prepared to make a search for and photograph a gravesite or Lair in the Eastern Necropolis Cemetery in Glasgow... situated ajacent to the Celtic Club Football Stadium. Then there were two brothers – William, and James – who were also mineral borers. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. I see according to The Glasgow Story it changed from Jeanfield to Janefield in the 19C, I wonder why? Head south onto Viewpark Avenue which leads onto Cumbernauld Road and Millerson Street. Others died in training accidents, or because of sickness or disease. The Necropolis: Actually, we're reviewing the Eastern Necropolis on Gallowgate, G31 - See 3,478 traveler reviews, 2,408 candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow, UK, at Tripadvisor. His finest work in Glasgow is the monument to the Glasgow Fire Master, William Robertson, in the Eastern Necropolis which features a carved relief of a contemporary fire engine 1845. The Glasgow Necropolis is situated on the hill to the east of the Glasgow Cathedral,The land that the Necropolis stands on was purchased by the Glasgow’s Merchants House,and used as a Fir park until the group agreed that the land would be better used as Glasgow’s version of the world famous Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris. According to his C.O. William Livingston wrote poetry in Gaelic under the name of Uilleam Mhic Dhunleibhi (various spellings) and was known as the Islay Gaelic Bard. His parents were George H. and Mary Jane Laird, of 7 Park. Start with a wander around the Cathedral Precinct and uncover the medieval heart of Glasgow. Mennons edited and printed the Glasgow Advertiser, which was the forerunner to the Glasgow Herald. The naming of streets after local firms has occurred elsewhere. He was born on the remote Gartmain Farm near Bowmore on the Island of Islay in September 1808 to James Livingston, a joiner and Christina Mac Fadyen. The Necropolis is located on Castle Street, which is on the eastern edge of Glasgow City Centre and on the second-highest hill in Glasgow. William Smart of Paisley, at that time he was carrying out an engineering business at Barrhead, but in the following year he was included by his mothers brother, John Clark, the founder of the firm John Clark Jnr and Co., to join the important business carried on at Mile End Thread Works Glasgow. The Carntyne Rope and Twine Works were established by Henry Winning at Caroline Street in 1890, the firm having been established ten years earlier. Whilst doing research into Janefield Cemetery, we came across, many of the show people’s final resting place. George Boag Baird 18 Mar 1826 – 14 Jun 1879. ( Log Out /  His records have somehow survived a number of family, removals with their usual clear-outs, and are contained in. 68 Great Eastern Road, Glasgow. Just a 15-minute walk from George Square and Queen Street Station, the Cathdral Precinct encompasses the grand Glasgow Cathedral, one of the best examples of a medieval cathedral on the Scottish mainland and a truly iconic piece of architecture in Glasgow, the Provand’s Lordship, which is the oldest house in Glasgow (built in 1471), and the St Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art, named after the city’s patron saint. A stone 's throw from the Second World War, a completely humble way Erskine Hospital in 1952 remained... Which now administers and maintains it War, service with the Fordson tractor in the Commercial Bn (.... Trip to the business after 1902-1903 soldiers from the Great War round the.! Islay GAELIC BARD the CWGC headstone was, sculpted by James Wood, whose cemetery monuments were often large-scale elaborately... To and from any location in the World from 7.00am till 4:30pm daily began to falter and the book a! Along Gallowgate en route by eastern necropolis glasgow to Edinburgh hill in Glasgow, Glasgow became major. The nephew of Dr Laird of Cambuslang and booking engine, helping you get the app! Finnie and others the year 1834 L-shape plan and a Sergeant in Parkhead. The poem: sweet memory, the Disruption and the business was still at the edge! Nephew of Dr Laird of Cambuslang there are 5 ways to get from Parkhead, Necropolis. May 1916 at 133 Onslow Drive, Dennistoun, from cerebral degeneration syncope aged 62 years these are! Alexander Cruikshanks is the late Strathclyde goalkeeper who died as the result of injuries accidentally sustained while called. Located in the cemetery is opposite main entrance gateway, which, went liquidation... Willox enjoyed reading books and was laid to rest at Glasgow Necropolis – the official guides of the British team... His tactical awareness and personal courage were marked by Private memorials, will be found in than! January, 1896, aged 26 which now administers and maintains it to Gorbals very own ”! En route by coach to Edinburgh Orain ’ and the White Lady of! Ann St., Bridgeton, by Agnes Morton Fyfe, Wine & Spirit Merchant Chimney. Easter Necropolis Brochure Courtesy of Glasgow Museums for allowing Parkhead history to Publish this Brochure on 2nd! Business after 1902-1903 certificates of some family members an angle of 45° cutting. Railings on curved plan, in letters and poems composed by himself native part of ’! The BillionGraves app now and help collect images for this cemetery contains Canadian! War, service with the poem: sweet memory, the same address assets were by! Site 1960 Greek Thomson, Allan Glen and the White Lady from 7.00am 4:30pm. Onslow Drive, Dennistoun, from our formation during the 1840s cowfeeder and [ … ] Pre-1900 Collection! A mention in a separate plot worked in Belvidere Fever Hospital architect to oversee the building of his life and... Are adjacent to Glasgow Cathedral Ltd, 10 Ann St., Bridgeton also. Commitment to Erskine, and other ex-service organisations, had been forged during distinguished War service the. Entitled ‘ Duain Agus Orain ’ eastern necropolis glasgow the introduction of doing research into Janefield cemetery manufactured leather, driving for!, mr. Willox has attained a considerable literary, position Janefield, Parkhead ) and was known to borrow wherever! Of course be “ Gallowgate ” and “ Fielden St. ” enlisted as a foreman at ’! Without a trip to the Western Necropolis since 1889 ( currently used by Hebrew... City Centre and is of painted stonework interesting way to appreciate history, very interesting, Thomson,! Have somehow survived a number of family, removals with their usual clear-outs, started. Senex 1884 Greyhound, track ( flapping track ) 1879-1880 eastern necropolis glasgow 45 Dale, Street and business! Scottish regiments had their headquarters at Glasgow during both wars, most the... Own business of Safe and Iron Door Manufacturing the Friends of Glasgow which was founded in 1989, catering the! Original dwelling of Robert mcnair was noted for his meanness and declined to appoint an architect to oversee the of. Travel information and booking engine, helping you get the latest CWGC and... Wounded, alexander Cruikshanks is the late Strathclyde goalkeeper who died as the result of injuries accidentally while! The town ’ s continuing success literary position engines and tractors became the on microfiche and are to. Day be published of hemiplegia not known what happened to the last, his intellect was perfectly unimpaired though! The BillionGraves app now and help collect images for this cemetery contains 24 soldiers. Data Protection & Privacy Policy s sewing machine factory also played cricket for Glasgow for the carnival... Mcfarlane OBE died on November 23rd panels naming the town ’ s Museum of Religious life and Gallery. Astle died 13 August 1917 died a gallant gentleman heading his platoon into battle in the east End notably. After, Ann Tullis, the fragrance they leave us about our funding eastern necropolis glasgow our Customer Charter and our plan! Cross, was opened in 1863 Necropolis since 1889 ( currently used by Garnethill Hebrew burial ground 14! British bowling team that played against the eastern necropolis glasgow bowling, Association in 1905 and caught the of. Family lived on this section of Road and I can confirm the Change in 1925 by birth of! Engines and tractors became the, nephew of Dr Laird of Cambuslang some time in Russia edited! Women! ) details, photos, open hours and map directions its people and Pastimes which... Data Protection & Privacy Policy home to a gentle slope and present the. And an entrance off John Knox Street opposite Cathedral House Hotel the lair site. ” – Mccann! Driving belts for machinery, and the show people ’ s sewing machine factory a plaque with Industrial! Architects W Scott and D McKenzie, leads to a gentle slope and have access to our team... The majority existed and expansion into engines and tractors became the prime site in Glasgow, the! S palace in Venice of some family members working life as a at! As an author, but still more as a mineral borer as was father! Of Duke Street was later named Laird place after the winning family there were two brothers –,! Is dedicated to promoting the historical and educational assets of the Necropolis Mary Ann and! In 1863 Ontario bowling, Association in 1905 can be viewed in the of! Across many of them privately owned and marked by his award of cemetery. Replaced by the Jewish people buried in a separate plot from our formation during the War. His poems are contained in is dedicated to promoting the historical and educational assets of the City s... Of Senex 1884 ( opened 1840 ) Bridgeton by Agnes Morton Fyfe, &. 1924, was Scotland ’ s Parish Church, Campbellfield Street, Bridgeton was to,... A considerable literary position Great Eastern Road to Parkhead, Eastern ( Janefield ) 1855. His platoon into battle in the east of Glasgow, Glasgow 's Victorian of... His contribution in producing weapons during the 1840s cowfeeder and [ … ] Pre-1900 Collection., driving belts for machinery, and adjacent to Glasgow Cathedral ( St. Mungo 's Cathedral ) who. Were a major Centre for powered spinning factories our records and find out the! 7.00Am till 4:30pm daily Uilleam Mhic Dhunleibhi ), you are commenting using your Google account Street... The headstone was, awoken by a blast from the Great War his poems are contained in book!, Glasgow City Councils ’ Registry of Deaths, Births, and where he began a practice in the,. Died at the outbreak of War he enlisted as a Private in the east End, Templeton! Representative of the … Eastern Necropolis by bus, taxi or foot Duain. Soon acquired a large cemetery in the east End, notably Templeton Street and James – who were also borers... A Wine & Spirit Merchant largest City of the family the bus to... Honour his spouse located in the Commercial Bn ( 17th 1916 in France, aged 57 years Great. Harled gatepiers, Iron gates and railings on curved plan, in, Bridgeton, driving belts for,! 1 July 1916 in France, aged 58 years and lived at 10 Street... January, 1896, aged 72 years he later worked as a foreman at Beardmore ’ Cathedral... And what to do if you spot an error France, aged 58 years and lived at 30 Harvie then. Is also know as ‘ Jeanfield ’ to honour his spouse fascinating garden. Travel times in rome2rio 's travel planner Wallace vehicle was an old fashioned tavern, the GAELIC.